My research notes (read: list of things to think about and what i thought about them, train of thought) and a more rigid scientific spreadsheet of my data.
This page is just a wrapper so that i can harvard reference both of my research docs into my report in one go in case anyone wants to verify my findings or at least understand where i’m pulling my data from.
Good news everyone, I’ve made yet another demo in Monogame. This time I’ve been working on adding a polygon renderer to my Monogame “Engine”, so here’s some Cubes in various rotations. I’m still a ways off being able to make a proper 3D game, specifically I absolutely need Collision, but progress is progress so here’s to that!
As usual built for OpenGL and .Net4.6 on a Windows 10, 64bit machine so if it doesn’t work on your pc then that’s probably why.
Previous: Monoparticle Particle Engine
A little physics sim i made in Monogame, probably horribly wrong but hey it’s the first real progress i’ve made in the field. May only work on 64 bit windows 10, i dunno, i haven’t tested it on anything else.
Next: BobCube programmable mesh renderer
So here it is. Given the sheer amount of keyframes that went into that 316 frame clip i kinda misjudged how long 10 seconds actually was. Probably why i misunderestimated how quick i had the eyes darting around.
Looks kinda stilted and floaty, like Mid-90s mainframe animation, which i guess makes sense: they were pioneering the methods of animation and i’m pioneering my own knowledge on how to animate. On the plus side i’m glad i managed to avoid the rigid body syndrome that a lot of early animations (and one shot in clone wars from 2009) seem to have. It also syncs up with the music of the original somewhat well so +1 to accuracy. And i managed to fix most of the skin clipping through the sleeve to the point i can’t notice any in the video. Lack of green sweater kinda ruins the character’s colour diversity but it really couldn’t be helped. Next time i’m gonna have to think about where clothes are placed so i don’t end up unable to skin it properly again.
Kinda ends abruptly too because i ran out of time and didn’t want to spend another hour going over the nessiccary 10 seconds with my rapidly deteriorating character rig.
That said i can’t help but feel almost proud at how i’ve managed to create something halfway decent even if it is the same rushed amature quality as everything i put my hands to and looking back in a month’s time i’ll probably shake my head and sigh. But yes pride. the stuff that comes before a fall and makes you do things stupidly and for stupid reasons.
With all that in mind i rate this animation a 3/5
I toyed between 2 and 3 but i’ve decided on 3 because it’s good for what it is: my first foray into human animation. And no i’m not giving it a 2.5 because using decimals defeats the point of giving each rating a discreet meaning.
Animation done. Not shown: the camera moving around.
At the moment i’m editing the video. It’s set up to fade in. from black for a few frames.
Probably the second time i’ve used after effects so nothing fancy.
Since last report i’ve:
- Modelled some (admittedy faulty but servicable) mouth geometry.
- Removed the torso for polys so i could add teeth. Split skin geometry into Hand, Legs and Head sections so weights could be mirrored.
- added teeth.
- Essentially completed Sweep’s character model.
- Animated the first 316 frames (10 seconds) of the “Do the Mario” credits song, i chose this because it features the most body movements and the least trying to get the mouth geometry to cooperate.
This is more broken than it looks
Unfortunately one big problem has arised: The arms won’t skin properly. It seems when desinging Sweep the place where i put the V-Neck sweater arm stuff was a place where it wasn’t easy for them to bend. To move this i’d have to move the sleeve ends up the arm which means i’d have to grab more upper arm geometry back in so there’s something under the transclearant shirt sleeves. This would all take a lot of time, that i don’t have. Easier option is to make the shirt completely opaque and get rid of the V-Neck during the animation, which might work. the shirt still isn’t skinned perfectly but it’s salvagable in the time i have available.
The animation progress is working quite well so far. Legs for the most part stay in place though there is some shuffling that i tried to replicate. A lot of this animation is in the arms and core muscles. I wasn’t actually working straight from the clip but rather my timing notes based on the clip so it’s more of my interpretation of what’s going on rather than a frame by frame recreation. I’ve also improvised eye movement/blinking because the vid i had was very low resolution. This bit was pretty interesting as i figured out what the eyes would be doing in each given action either trailing ahead of a head/body movement or tracking arms as they come close to the head.
Finally i’ve made a background based on the original clip by way of Yoshi’s Island which i’m going to place behind it during editing. I’m probably gonna edit this in Power Director 9 and then convert it to whatever format i need online.
Oh… gotta render it at some point. I guess i can nip into horton and comandeer several rows of one of the labs. After that is all of the acoutriments. Not sure what those exactly are as the module handbook isn’t all that helpful but i think i can figure it out off the facebook group.
I’m pretty great at being stylistically terrible at art.
Oh thank god! it’s twenty past one April 2nd BST, which means there’s no timezone where it isn’t past midday april first and i can stop hiding under my duvet and start watching more Beast Wars! (seriously if Donald Trump is a thing there’s literally nothing you could have said yesterday that the cynic in me wouldn’t agree with)
Last Time on Beast Wars!
Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Kiss!